Subject: [Leica] Re: Press camera / studio camera
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Sep 8 18:12:03 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 3:55 PM,Craig wrote:

> I started searching for a 4 x 5 camera last night.  I'm
> tempted to buy an old press camera...<<<

If you just want a 4x5 camera and don't intend to use lens and film
shifts, then a Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic is a good choice. They
are plentiful and reasonably low priced. They come with rangefinders
and adequate direct viewfinders. And you always have the ground glass
for careful composition. The focal plane shutter on the Speed Graphic
will even let you use shutterless lenses mounted in a cheap
lensboard. Bear in mind that if you want to use lens shifting or
extreme bellows extension press cameras are not for you. You might
look for a used Calumet studio camera or, if you have the cash, a
Linhof.

Larry Z