Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica] M8 lens dilemma
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Sep 10 20:04:54 2006

Don,
I don't think shooting at 800 to 1600 ought to be the routine thing, more
like emergency back up, accepting the lesser quality
because that's all the light there is.
I'd be wanting to operate at ISO 100 to 200 for lowest possible noise and
maintain the apertures as what I'd use for 35mm, One stop
or so below maximum. That's what we pay the big bucks for with Leica glass.
Of course large DOF is not always desirable either.
Or is my film mindset not valid in the newest sensors world?
I think it would be market suicide to make glass in M mount with an image
circle too small for 35mm.
No way Solms could afford to alienate their existing customer base in the
niche. They are never going to compete directly with the
huge Japanese camera and electrical goods companies.

However, with their commitment to four thirds they still have an avenue for
dedicated glass for digital. Lots of Olympus and
Panasonic etc folks would be happy to consider Solms designs for their four
thirds cameras, in my opinion. Plus of course the
compact digitals shared with Panasonic.

Regarding the expected crop factor which seems pretty certain, I thought
that the f2 28 asph (and the new 2.8?) fitted neatly into
the 35 slot, with the 21 or 24 working for around the 28 and the f2  or f1.4
35 becoming the new 50. I'd be pretty happy with the
current 50's as lovely portrait lenses, I'm sure. I imagine those folks with
the Noctilux would be downright cheerful, using them
for available light portraits

Cheers
Hoppy,
2 Aussie cents worth.