Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica] M8 lens dilemma
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Sep 11 09:02:58 2006

>> If  shooting at 800 and 1600 eliminates the need for fast glass, why have
>>  so
>> many of us invested so much in fast glass over the years, given that  we
>> routinely shoot at 800 and 1600?
>>

>> Speed... give me  speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>

>> Regards,
>> Sonny

My default film was Neopan 1600 and I shot a lot of Noctilux with it running
it in Xtol 1:3 and then the digital thing hit this millennium I still
defaulted at ASA or DIN or ISO or whatever they call it now I know its
something different 1600 both my D (for digital) 100 and D200 work just
great at this speed come rain or come shine from the Bonneville salt flats
at high noon to the black cat in the coal mine at high midnight scenario/s.

The difference is big though in the difference in the ways both technologies
worth with very low light.
And that made the need for faster glass and in effect for the most part non
zooms moot; the reality being you can shoot into a dark alley at midnight
cats or no cats with a slow cheap zoom and seem them all lurking in the
shadows of the garbage cans on your monitor at the back of your camera and
then in your prints both on paper and on screen.

So I don't feel like I need 2.8 not even to help me focus on the groundglass
as they certainly seem to have the AutoFocus thing down now.
But with the smaller APS-C image circle we don't get the option of the I
forget what we call it limited dept of field effect like was so popular with
film. When all the photojournalists and other photogs (not me) were shooting
with Yuban Coffee Can sized 2.8 zooms.
So to get that now you'd need a 1.4 and they don't make zooms that fast that
I can recall.
So I shoot with a 28 1.4 sometimes it balances well on my D200 and has a
Hammertone finish which surpasses Leicas of the past or present. Its not the
slightest bit glossy but just like Leitz Microscopes from the 40s and 50s.
Or a Visoflex. But toothier.

And its nice to see with an ultra bright groundglass for a change.
When I shoot 1.4 I find myself wanting to focus myself and I certainly can
with just a visible image. And with the placement of the focus being such a
bigger issue.

Mark Rabiner

40?46'58.65"N  73?49'31.68"W
Whitestone NY 11357