Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica] M8 lens dilemma
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Sep 11 17:50:02 2006

Don, I do understand what you are saying regarding low noise at 400 ISO.
Still, where the light allows the lower the better, I think. Just as I'd
rather use Velvia/Astia or Delta 100/Neopan Acros than 400
ISO or higher films, I mean.
You are saying that there is no equivalent of a 1.4 35 asph for you or the
f2 28 for B.D.
OK. Keep on using film just as long as we can get it.
I had a 1.2 Nikkor amongst my (Nikon manual focus) fifties once. Danged if I
could use that narrow DOF effectively. I liked the 1.4s
but just mainly for the bright finder on those cameras.

Of course, if you guys are perpetually working wide open at 1600 ISO we're
pointing our cameras at different stuff. I think I have
to place my amateur self in the Germanic, highest possible quality, 250th or
better, down a stop or so, really should have brought
the tripod camp.

Without wishing to give anyone indigestion, I think that the four thirds
stuff is like Linux vs Windows! :-) I mean technically very
interesting and clever but not the mainstream.
I think Leica's and Panasonic's entries there are just keeping their options
open.

Cheers
Hoppy