Subject: [Leica] Re: Outdated M8
From: crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts)
Date: Wed Sep 13 12:22:49 2006

"To buy the M8 in the hopes that Leica would be the first to retrofit
cameras would be the definition of an optimist..."

Well, I am an optimist -- but, no, I don't believe Leica is building an
upgradeable M8.

However, I'm an amateur radio operator and have tracked the technical
progress of hobbyist radios over the years.  Almost all new radios now
accomodate firmware upgrades.  The Japanese manufacturers (and a single
American one) do not seem to be afraid of losing profits by extending
the useful life of their products.  These radios are expensive enough to
guarantee reasonable front-end profits and upgradeability breeds
customer loyalty and sales of accessories and ancilliary equipment.  Of
course, none of these manufacturers relies on the small amateur radio
market to sustain them.  All of them build commercial and "disposable"
military devices as well. Similarly, I suspect Leica's camera division
is the least of their profit generators (presuming they have any).

Craig
Washington, DC

Message from crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts) ([Leica] Re: Outdated M8)
Message from enitka1 at comcast.net (e. nitka) ([Leica] Re: Outdated M8)