Subject: OT: LE, conflict, etc. was: Re: [Leica] Leica Problems
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Sep 14 01:55:11 2006

Ted Grant wrote:
M'mmmm  really Scott? And how many times have you for real done this?
Like I'm talking about a police officer whom you have annoyed by facial
expression or verbal? Or whatever?
-------------
I will not be verbose.... I will not be verbose....  :-)

Exactly two times. A bad thing happened with LE. Dad and I
made several calls, people were polite, but said they couldn't
help us without a badge number. That's when I learned the
lesson when I was 20 or 21 years old.

Once at a political rally, another at a train station. Nothing bad
happened in either case, I speculate for different reasons in each
case. A 3rd time was preempted/diffused by a female officer just
suddenly walking away. But I didn't annoy anyone with a facial
expression, my demeanor or anything, so I don't know if these cases
meet your criteria.

Your point on consequences is well reasoned and well taken. One
has to dial in one's own stance on these matters or on a case by
case basis.

Scott

p.s. Really, I like conflict. I'm *super* nice 99.9% of the time, but
given a a conflict situation, I find I cannot resist retaliatory response.
I may have something called "Intermittent Explosive Disorder." TBD

I'm not suicidal, lit. or fig. though, so I have never freaked out on
LE (thank my stars). I'm always *extremely* cordial to LE, and I
have no problem with rules - I *like* rules. But aside from IED, I've
legally harmed or threatened many, many people who have challenged
me over the years. I'm not a gentle soul; I'm just as comfortable being
cruel in defense of my perceived interests. It's just the way I am.

I don't like LE in general, and I've stated so here on the LUG in
the past. "Lower class thugs with guns." It's in the archives, I
presume. Just one example we all saw on television:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/Aug/20050831News017.asp

Pick your own favorites; there are so very, very many of them. As
for riding in police cars, one has to dial in one's own tolerance for
consequences as you've said.  I've dialed in my own more than once
in the past.

I'm 40. I figure I have ~15 more years to be confrontational with
people. Then I'll have to resort even more to lawyers and to furiously
writing letters to the editor ;-)  In the meantime, my father always
worries that someone is going to shoot me :-)  Such is life.