Subject: [Leica] Tri Elmar M 16-18-21 mm F4 ASPH lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Sep 14 21:48:01 2006

On 9/14/06 9:06 PM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> I thought about the yumminess of the 16-18-21 on the --M8 (that's
> everything before the M8, a geek joke) but the POV between a 16 and 18 are
> rather close, isn't it? and at F/4, the 15 and 21mm are already covered by
> the Cosina (*gasp*) lineup.
>
> At 05:44 PM 9/14/2006, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Its a 5.5 degree spread. Not an unheard of difference between standard focal
lengths.
106.5 degrees you get with a 16mm with film
100 degrees with an 18mm lens

For instance there is a 5 degree spread between two Nikkor lenses I
interchanged back and forth carefully and often while shooting countless
jobs.
a 85 and 105.
85 is 28
105 is 23
The difference between black in white in the bulk of my shooting.
I feel I can tell the difference between one of my 85 or 105 shots every
time.

7 degrees of separation between my (or your) 21 and 24 ASPH's.
21 is 91
24 is 84

Cosina 15 and 21mm optics are not Leica 15 and 21mm optics.

Individual Cosina 15 and 21mm lenses is not a Leica 16-18 with 21 all three
built into one lens. That's like zooms and primes. Apples and oranges.

The Cosina 12 gets my attention.
Now there's a gorgeous and unusual optic worth of putting on a Leica m
camera. And something in which there is no Leica equivalent as far as focal
length number goes and not one all that expected by many people in the very
near future.

Mark Rabiner

40?46'58.65"N  73?49'31.68"W
Whitestone NY 11357