Subject: [Leica] Re: iBook, PowerBook, MacBook
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Mon Sep 18 15:21:30 2006

Robert Jagitsch writes:

> It's hard to beat the latest MacBook. Apple has refurbs of the black
> model in stock for $1299, and refurbs of the Powerbook 12" (aluminum
> case) for $1199.
>
> The MacBook is far faster than the Powerbook with its dual core
> processor and it uses a larger 13.3 screen. Plus it will run Windows
> if you want.

The MacBook is awfully tempting for these reasons, but my research
indicates a possible deal breaker: no pc card slot. If, for example, I
wanted to use a Cingular Wireless Sierra Air Card for broadband internet
access via the Cingular Wireless network in the US or via one its
partners abroad, no go. I would need a MacBook Pro,

I'm still digesting all of this, but whatever I decide I want to
heartily thank everyone who chimed in, and again thank Brian for hosting
this saloon.  What a truly valuable resource this place is!

And if anyone has another opinion about which Mac to buy - since it
appears there is zero competition for the 2.65x3.5inch mini iPhoto books
- don't hesitate to pile on.

Or for that matter if anyone has an opinion about my sanity in even
considering buying a whole new computer, not to mention buying into a
whole new operating system, just to make some $9.95 mini photo albums.....

;-)

--Bob

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Re: iBook, PowerBook, MacBook)