Subject: OT RE: [Leica] Re: iBook models
From: craig at craigschroeder.com (Craig Schroeder)
Date: Tue Sep 19 20:27:38 2006

I bought a Macbook Pro (15") for my son when he headed off to college
this Fall.  I think he was initially drawn to it because of looks and
the fact that his "cooler" friends had Macs.  I'm an old-time guy from
the original PC days and still feel that graphic interfaces get in my
way as much as they help but function well enough.  The Mac was
certainly an easy setup....  I plugged it into our small home network,
it found everything that it needed, his iPod self-configured and the
whole thing couldn't have been more seamless.  The screen is really
quite nice and I could see certain photos in a better way than on my CRT
display.  Maybe "better" isn't the right word but certain things such as
eyes in a portrait had a nice depth and watery sheen that made them pop
very nicely.  At first, it sounded a bit pricey compared to the Dells,
etc. but they had some nice bundles of free printers, free iPods (he had
one but sold the free one), credits toward cases and all that it really
didn't amount to much overall price difference.  The function of the Mac
is so similar to the Windows rigs that we're used to that they are now
virtually interchangeable.