Subject: [Leica] Re: the dynamic range of digital
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Sep 20 10:25:45 2006

> [...]
>ugly noise.  (This result depends to a great degree on what ISO you
>have set, and to what extent you are willing to peform noise
>reduction in software outside the camera.)
>
>Therefore the meter is calibrated to give a response range which is
>not symmetric around the metered exposure.
>
>If you are shooting in flat light, where there is no more than 4
>stops of scene brightness range (+ and - 2 stops from the metered
>value) then you do not need exposure compensation.
>
>In contrasty light, I typically find I have at least 6 stops of
>scene brightness range (+ and - 3 stops from the metered value) and
>need to introduce an exposure compensation of -1 stop (when using
>the Nikon matrix metering.)
>
>When I dial in -1 exposure compensation when shooting in contrasty
>light, I am not "underexposing"--I am just biasing my exposure to
>correct for the meter's calibration, in order to place the histogram
>just to the right. Another way to think about it is that I am
>fitting the scene brightness range into the recording range of the
>camera's sensor.
>
>When shooting static subjects (like landscapes) you can take the
>time to spot meter the brightest highlight where you want to record
>detail, and then expose about 1 and 2/3 stops more.  In zone system
>parlance you are "placing" the highlight at Zone 6 and 2/3. I then
>look at the histogram(s) and make further small adjustments.
>
>In shooting sports on bright contrasty days, I sometimes take test
>shots and adjust my exposure compensation to get the R,G,B histogram
>right.  This allows me to tailor the exposure compensation to
>prevailing conditions.
>
>One weakness of the D100 and D2h is the lack of separate R, G, and B
>histograms--these cameras appear to simply use the G channel to
>represent luminosity.  This can lead to blowing the R channel when
>shooting flowers, sunsets, and red soccer jerseys and you get
>strange color shifts.
>
>When I get time I'll check the sensor response of my R-D1 and report on
>that.
>
>I hope my Nikon experience helps others.
>
>Has anyone done these experiments with any of the Canon DSLRs?  Do
>they center the recordable brightness range around the metered
>value, or do they clip at the same 2 stops over the metered value?
>How about the Olympus 4/3 cameras?
>
>Please note that the poor camera engineers have a hard choice to
>make in setting the meter calibration.  Setting the meter to read 2
>stops below highlight saturation makes full use of the sensor range
>when shooting in flat light (giving the most accurate tonal detail),
>but it ensures blown highlights when shooting in contrasty light.
>
>Also note that careful metering with an incident meter does not
>change the problem.  If there are objects in the scene which spot
>meter more than 2 stops over the incident meter reading, then they
>will become blown highlights if the you set the camera to the

I haven't done a rigorous test on my Canons like you have, Mark, but
the result is the same. In flat light I can meter straight; in very
flat light, like when shooting a telephoto through haze, I dial in as
much as +1.3 to shift the recorded data as far to the right. That
way, when I expand the dynamic range in PS, I have enough data to
work with.

In very contrasty light I set the compensation to as much as -1.3 or
even at times -2 if the highlights are to be fully recorded. Again,
under new and especially difficult lighting conditions I take a
couple of shots and examine the histograms (RGB if possible) and set
the compensation accordingly..

This way I generally avoid having to bracket like I would with film
in extremely contrasty conditions, although I sometimes still do, and
I'm ready to react to photo opportunities that pop up quickly under
those conditions. A real advantage with digital.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design