Subject: [Leica] Professional Leica Users?
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Wed Sep 20 08:43:25 2006

I PREFER to shoot my M4, however for work, no one wants film.  The media
these days is about speed.  The Leica used to be one of the fastest, and
best systems for general photojournalism.  If I could use my 50 Summicron DR
on a full framed digital M body with all functions, I would go completely
that way.  Keep the M4 as a backup.  Digital has shortened the time from
event to news consumer from hours to mere minutes.  It's the way that news
is going these days.  With the quality of digital capture lately, I almost
feel cheated by shooting 35mm film.  I use my M4 these days as a means to
get back to MAKING the photograph what I want, not just snapping away as I
do with my Canon digital.  If I'm seriously shooting film though, I use my
6x6 Bronica.  In a nutshell, production cost and time is what has sent the
Leicas to the hobby market.  Don't get me wrong, I still swear by black &
white film and it's incredible latitude, ability to capture detail in the
highlights and shadows that digital can't yet, but again I'm only using that
to create my own art, not news.  Like this one:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/PForrest/SBstreetE.jpg

Phil