Subject: [Leica] Re: "the dynamic range of digital"
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Sep 22 09:40:50 2006

Ted,

Two approaches to photography.

One, shoot a lot and through experience begin to know what happens under
a certain set of photographic conditions. We may not completely
understand why something happens. But we know what will happen and when,
and we lean how to adjust our tools and methods accordingly.

Secondly, learn all we can the technical aspects of imaging.

I don't know if there's time enough in the day to do both.

The problem with the latter approach, IMHO, is that there's so much
information that's it's impossible to comprehend everything. We can read
more (fact or fiction) about digital sensors than we ever could about
the chemistry of film.

But maybe the rapid pace of change has something to do with that.

I remember when everyone (including me) used to scream bloody murder
when there was even a hint that Kodak or Oriental or Ilford changed our
favorite paper or film. That happened once a decade, not once a day.

I used to have to wait until my film came out of the fixer before I know
if I had a problem. Now I've got a a pulsating LCDs that cries "warning
Will Robinson! Blown highlights!" I don't know which is better.

If dynamic range was the Holy Grail why didn't chrome film die a long
time ago and only reversal film survive? Sometimes things look better
with less dynamic range. It's not what you have but how you use it.

Whew! I think I just popped a fuse in my brain :-)

daveR