Subject: [Leica] M8 WONDER MACHINE! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Sep 22 19:22:08 2006

Hoppy said:
Subject: RE: [Leica] M8 WONDER MACHINE! :-)
Snip....................
> Ted,You've had a camera for a day or so and just had a ball shooting
> stacks > of pics, with nary a word on the technical side. Good on you Ted,
> and if
> picking up the new camera creates that sort of enthusiasm for a veteran
> photographer, it bodes very well for photographers everywhere and the
> accountants at Solms. Can't wait to see some pics once the production
> cameras get out there.<<<

Hoppy mon ami,
I'm so impressed with the M8 there really isn't any concern over the techie
guys and their belly clutching on the numbers. It's not relevant when you're
using a fine machine because it allows you to totally concentrate and shoot
the subject!

It was so unique to be able to shoot away in B&W as I've done the bulk of
the past half century of my career on documentary assignments. Then with no
thought of changing anything because of a 2 gig card it was a very different
approach. If it required a confirmation on the screen it never entered my
mind? Why should it when for 55 years I never had the opportunity to look
until on the light table! It's way to easy for these young pups. ;-)

Quite frankly anyone working as a photojournalist in film never had time for
second looks, nor second thoughts about the photograph just taken. We just
shot what motivated us and I see the M8 reviving this attitude with "real
photographers!"

The rest will probably do the point-shoot-look philosophy of the DSLR group
of shoot-look! Shoot shoot shoot look again!:-)
The M8 may bring us back to a new breed/era of photojournalists!

ted