Subject: [Leica] Candid photos in public places
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Sep 25 06:35:55 2006

At 08:44 AM 9/25/2006, you wrote:
>A few years back an unfortunate tourist without a guide happened upon
>a South American village where they were very paraniod about child
>kidnapping (foreign adoptions are actually partly controlled by
>criminal gangs in some areas). The villagers thought the photographer
>was taking sample photos of their children and brutally murdered the
>photographer as an example to others.
>
>John Collier

That was a Japanese tourist in Guatemala.  From the State Department
warning page:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1129.html

"Avoid close contact with children, including taking photographs,
especially in rural areas.  Such contact can be viewed with deep
alarm and may provoke panic and violence.  Rumors of foreigners
stealing children surface periodically and can provoke a violent
response towards strangers.  Foreign tourists have been attacked by
mobs and some years ago one was killed while photographing children."

Read the whole page if you really want to be scared about going to
Guatemala.  I spend the whole time I'm there every year photographing
children in rural areas and have never had a problem.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Candid photos in public places)