Subject: [Leica] With my M3 and the 50
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Mon Sep 25 14:42:18 2006

Luis

The Leica lenses of that era had a quite soft coating, that's why many have
cleaning marks or even scratches, and/or fogging, too. So if you buy one
online take care of the description and the seller profile.

I paid CHF70.- ($55) for a rather strongly scratched, and very stiff
collapsible 50 Summicron from an auction seller in my country. It was not
shure whether John van Stelten of http://www.focalpointlens.com could fix it
but for that price I didn't run a big risk. John has then successfully
recoated and CLA'd it (for somewhat around $250 afair). When it came back,
the glass was flawless, but focus and aperture ring were still a little bit
stiff, as John had said the corrosion inside had been significant. But since
I have often used it, and turned the rings for- and backward while watching
tv, it's got as smooth as an old Leica lens can be. Have added one of these
popular $10 metal vented 39mm hood - and here we go for a fantastic and
affordable lens. There might be a picture shot with that lens in the actual
LUG contest... ;-)

Didier

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] With my M3 and the 50)
Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] With my M3 and the 50)