Subject: [Leica] M8 Photokina Report (+ smidge on ZI and CV) **WITHCORRECT URL LINK**
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Sep 26 16:02:35 2006

At 5:36 PM -0500 9/26/06, Jim Nichols wrote:
>Steve,
>That's interesting.  Definitely different, but not as bad as David
>reports in his blog.
>Jim Nichols

It's a vertical metal shutter (known for some time), has a top speed
of 1/8000s and gets wound by a motor.

It's not going to sound like a rubber window blind run by a large
volume of gears and governors.

I didn't find it particularly loud or irritating, but it did sound
different. Different in and of itself, if it has a good reason, does
not annoy me. After 40+ years of Leica shutters, I'm certainly used
to and probably fond of that sound, but the things that are important
to me about the Leica are largely present in the Leica M8.

Things like the slippery covering, which has no rational reason, and
no direct exposure compensation or better shutter lock, or too wide
metering pattern annoy me. Having to confirm every changed setting
with an unnecessary button push annoys me.

BTW, if I get an M8, I'm thinking of using a Sharpie to adjust the
metering pattern and setting permanent compensation. That and gluing
a rubber bumper on the back near the top right so my thumb doesn't
slip off.

The sound I can live with quite easily.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff