Subject: [Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Fri Sep 29 09:11:55 2006

So I happened to be wondering through the Time-Warner mall at Columbus
Circle last week when I spied a lot of giant Salgado prints on display, (he
once used a Leica).  On each image there was a small caption about the
image and a plug for Illy, which I had never heard of before.  I assumed
Illy was some group sponsoring the exhibit.  At the conclusion of the
exhibit there was a coffee bar, an Illy coffee bar.  I was unhappy to
realize the whole thing was a PR campaign.  Now the question shot into my
mind...is this right?  I looked around at the mall and the shops and all
the people sipping the Illy coffee and then at the Salgado prints again and
the prints became reduced to corporate PR and I was angry.  Flame me all
you want but I realized two things - consumption has replaced democracy,
and the image is the driving force behind consumption.  It's all so rude.

Chris Saganich - not happy with the world these days.

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit)
Reply from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit)
Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Taking up the cudgels for Francesco Illy)
Reply from simone.tiraboschi at gmail.com (Simone Tiraboschi) ([Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit)