Subject: [Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Sep 29 14:06:47 2006

Absolutely right - But I doubt that when the sky is a muddy, dull, brownish
gray that you see it as an otherworldly orange with a brilliant sun. ;-) I'm
not, by the way, saying that news photographs have to be devoid of artistic
merit or interpretation - only that they should reflect something suggesting
the reality that anyone on the scene might have seen. Tipped horizon - okay,
clich?d God knows but anyone can tilt their head and see the scene tip.
Increased contrast? Put on polarizing sun glasses and bingo! Shoot from
different, hopefully interesting angles? Why not? High? Low? Foreground out
of focus, background sharp? Again, we can see all these things, which is why
we photograph them. But turning what was not a visually dramatic moment into
a drama by, I'm sorry, but 'faking' the color? No. But obviously we're going
to have to agree to disagree on this one.