Subject: SORRY! Re: [Leica] Who needs a M8 when you have a Nikon D200?
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Sep 30 14:00:41 2006

OK--having just fondled today, I will bite. What Henning, Tom and Ted
have said is true: this feel every bit like a real M. Leica's
marketing tagline ("Ein echte M") is true. I do not really have much
to add except this tidbit: I asked the guy at the Leica booth about
the lens coding, specifically whether it had any impact on the RAW
image. He was not sure, so he asked one of his colleagues (in
German), and the answer was yes. According to Leica, even in RAW mode
the vignetting correction is applied.

Other than that, Leica's booth is much nicer than at previous
Photokinas; it is better laid out, with more space to move around, so
that the people crunch that often made Photokina a less than pleasant
experience was alleviated. The same was true of several other vendors.

I think this is the best Photokina for Leica since I started
attending the show in 1998.

Nathan

On 26-sep-2006, at 21:14, Don Dory wrote:

> Richard,
> We will have ten or so LUGGERs in Koln in about three days fondling
> the M8
> at the Leica booth.  Hopefully some of us will have computer access
> so that
> we can torment the rest of the LUG.  :)
>
> My bet is on Nathan, or Douglas, or Didier as they can easily bring
> their
> laptop and can sip some Kaffe while they tempt the rest of you from
> just
> outside the convention hall.  :)
>
> Don
> don.dory@gmail.com
>

> On 9/26/06, Richard <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, at 4:23AM (see time stamp?), my mind starts to wander. Just
>> pulling
>> yer collective legs ala Kyle. It's just a shot with the Epson R-D1
>> with
>> the
>> pedestrian but sharp as heck current Summicron.
>>
>> I almost did tempt to get a Nikon new black S3, the whole thing
>> with the
>> new 50/1.4 lens is cheaper than a Leica 50/1.4 ASPH lens... only
>> if I have
>> the $$$ :-)
>>
>> We not return to the scheduled collective drooling until the first
>> LUGger
>> gets the M8 so we can start really salivating.
>>
>> At 04:23 AM 9/26/2006, Richard wrote:
>>
>> >So I got tired of all these talks about the barely functional M8 and
>> >picked up a real camera, a Nikon D200 with the legendary 50/1.4
>> AIS lens.
>> >With a 1.5 crop factor, it makes a nice portrait lens:
>> >http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/_EPS1973.jpg You can
>> see the
>> >classic signature of the lens quite clearly.
>>
>> // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
>> please
>> use richard at imagecraft.com)

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com