Subject: [Leica] Bryn Mawr, PA
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Oct 2 16:59:08 2006

At 07:35 PM 10/2/2006, you wrote:
>Film doesn't crash and cause a deletion of a few hours' work.  Sure, it can
>be lost, damaged, etc, but digital media has it's flaws as well.

If we are talking about professional photography here, you would
never worry about crashing because you back up continually.  This is
just my personal experience, but I had 20 years of experience in the
darkroom before I switched to digital and I can tell you that I lost
many, many more photos in the darkroom than I have in the lightroom;
and the big difference is that if I lost anything in the darkroom it
was gone -  forever - no retrieval.  One mistake in mixing developer
or fixer and your photos are toast.  With digital there is always
RAW.  Save your RAW files in two or three places and you never have
to worry again.  They are there to be developed however technology
has developed.  I have RAW files on file on hard-drives and DVDs and
CDs.  I have more confidence that those files will be accessible for
many years than I do the 11 lateral filing cabinets full of slides
and negatives that I hope to scan and convert to digital ASAP.  I
don't trust the security of the film in the filing cabinets!  :-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Bryn Mawr, PA)