Subject: [Leica] An American Yankee in Herr Leitz' Court
From: ekowaleski at twmi.rr.com (Ed Kowaleski)
Date: Fri Oct 6 17:55:08 2006

Lee did attend the LHSA dinner and was present during the visit to the Solms
Factory.  First impressions are of a very dynamic guy who has a clear set of
objectives. He, however. answers to new owners.

The Business Times article does not mention that it was announced during the
Photokina time frame that a privately held Austrian firm, the Kaufman group
(I'm not sure of the spelling) had purchased a controlling interest in
Leica.  Dr. Kaufman (spelling again), a member of the controlling family,
gave a short speech of welcome at the LHSA dinner and appeared to be the guy
who would ultimatel;y call the shots. Everything seemed quite upbeat and the
Solms people were enthused about the new owners.  Producing a quality M8 and
selling a lot of them would obviously help.

Ed Kowaleski