Subject: [Leica] FS MP, BP 35 Summicron
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Oct 7 22:39:11 2006

B.D. that's an thoughtful take. I wonder though if the M camera range will
just be a flagship line, without necessarily generating
the most profit for the company? Didn't the company report profits for the
last year, but not from the film camera division? I
wonder if the folks that buy and appreciate MPs might be less likely than M7
owners to go digital as the M8 gets out there? If so
maybe the M7 might fade away and the MP remain the figurehead. My guess
would be that folks using an M professionally would be less
likely to choose the MP.
Given that new leadership, both the Austrian owners and the new heavy hitter
from US of A, I predict more C Lux type products. I
just really hope it works for them and the brand remains afloat. I think
that the D range is sort of an insurance bet in case the M8
doesn't succeed. Also I imagine the badging of lenses for Panasonic might be
a significant portion of their activity? They seem to
be paralleling Zeiss in some aspects of this. Interesting times
Cheers
Hoppy