Subject: [Leica] Re: Shutter lag
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Oct 8 16:08:31 2006

Lawrence Zeitlin offered:

Hi Larry,
I'm going to try to answer your questions or respond to comments as they
come up in red.

> Sorry Harrison, but I used to cover hockey and basketball for the  Boston
> Globe in the '50s. That's when we used 4x5 Speed Graphics and  25 lb.
> Strobotron flashes, not wimpy Leicas.<<<<

So what's new, all of us who shot for newspapers back in those days that was
the equipment of the day!  And I still shot football,soccer, hockey and pro
basketball, accept it was strobe lit or flash filled.
I didn't think any differently in handling the gear then than I do today,
only that camera's of today are smaller, lighter and quicker to use while
not requiring the big heavy strobe packs with wet cell battery power.

> I also shot pro bono pictures of college  soccer. But all those sports
> have something in common. If you know  the sport, you can predict the
> photo opportunities and act  accordingly. <<<

Actually if one dosen't know the sport one shouldn't be shooting it if you
are a professional. However, there isn't anything from shooting any sport
and learning what it's about developing your own method of shooting. Neither
do you follow the pack mentality of everyone else because you lose the
individualism of your photographs. If everybody is on the sunny
side......... you go to the other! Or find a better angle and shoot their
ass off! ;-)

>You simply build reaction time and camera shutter lag  into your
>anticipation process.<<<

You mean to tell me you even thought about this in the '50's? "Shutter lag?
Hell I never new there was such a thing until I was on the LUG several years
ago as a topic. And I didn't have a clue what the hell they were talking
about. It's never been in my thoughts at anytime in my life. I see-shoot and
that's it! Regardless of the numbers. Other than when I'm playing with the
grandson's digi cam and yes I know what you mean about "shutter lag." It
sucks!  But it never enters my thoughts simply because I don't use any
camera that has a lag worth being in my thoughts at any time .But there are
ways to beat it to some degree. Story for another day. ;-)

> As for prefocusing, you have two  options. For manual focusing cameras,
> you can prefocus on the action  zone or you can focus on an area of the
> arena and wait until the  action moves into that area. I defy anyone to
> follow focus on a sport  like soccer, especially if you are on the
> sidelines and the play is  moving toward you. I know I can't.<<<<<<<<

I suppose the only thing to say here is.. "just because you can't doesn't
mean some of us can and do":-) Follow focusing is quite easy and I've done
that throughout my career. Still do when I shoot R8 and the 400mm or
whatever long glass I'm using. The only time I beat myself doing manual
focusing is when I use one of the autofocus lenses for the Canon. Damn it's
fast! ;-)

Heck there's even a trick of making autofocus work faster much like follow
focusing.... just follow your subject and constantly touch tap very lightly
on the shutter release popping the autofocus along withthe moving subject &
everything's in focus.  I do believe some of the top end DSLR's have follow
focus through the autofocus system?

> Still, no one has answered my question about what percentage of  success
> those great action shots represent. One of the best baseball
> photographers I knew used a Hulcher sequence camera to get pictures  of
> Ted Williams at his peak. He would routinely run through 100 feet  of
> film, 800 shots. to get the few sensational pictures that ran in  the
> sports pages.<

My average has always been about 10% are the major keepers. That doesn't
mean the other 90% are trash, most times they're quite useable but not as
perfect as they should be.

And within that 10% you always hope to find a couple of diamonds.  Quite
normal really 10%. It doesn't matter whom the photographer is. By the same
token no matter how good someone is, or worse think they are.....SOMETIMES
NONE ARE FOUND! :-( Dang I hate having to use a second choice! ;-)

> And Ted, you need no support for those great pictures<<<

Thank you most kindly Sir.

> But I suspect that you are so capable and experienced that you have
> forgotten how  hard it is for we photo neophytes to internalize the skills
> that you  spent a lifetime developing. You might not have to think about
> clicking the shutter and making an outstanding picture, but I know  that I
> have to spend precious seconds in the decision process. Peace.<<<

Quite frankly I know at times I make it sound so simple about re-acting and
seeing, then blurt out some dumb ass thing at what I perceive as ... "what
is this idiot thinking? Why can't he understand how easy this is?"  Then it
comes to mind ..... "Well your the idiot because you've done this for over
half a century it's easier than breathing because it's completely in your
blood!      ... lighten up on these guys!"  But never stop teaching them!

However, I do try to make it easier..... sometimes with what might be
perceived as a smack across the head, but my comments are always made with
good intentions. But this is the internet and words don't always come out in
the manner sitting across the table with a tea or a beer! :-)

like these. :-)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/leicated/095+PM+Pierre+Trudeau+sliding+down+railing+.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/leicated/1988+Summer+Olympics_001.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/leicated/A+close+one_.jpg.html