Subject: [Leica] Party pics and such
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Oct 9 22:36:36 2006

Jayanand, I think you are correct. However the danger may have been
overstated. Another theory advanced was that its excessive
consumption was degrading the French populace!
"Absinthe was the drink of choice among artist and writers in the mid to
late 19th century. It inspired poets and appeared in works
by Pablo Picasso and Vincent Van Gogh. It was drank by the scandalous
playwright Oscar Wilde, the eccentric Toulouse-Lautrec, the
poets Charles Baudelaire and Edgar Allen Poe, and the famous 20th century
author Ernest Hemingway, just to mention a few".
 Probably because it became forbidden, it acquired a mystique and
desirability for some folks. I haven't tried it, nor Pastis(?) But
I know my wife occasionally likes to sip Pernod which also has an aniseed
flavour. For whatever reason it was no longer restricted
for import in Australia about 6 years ago. I guess there are far worse
things for people to imbibe.
Absinthe was the drink of choice among artist and writers in the mid to
late19th century. It inspired poets and appeared in works by
Pablo Picasso (left) and Vincent Van Gogh (right). It was drank by the
scandalous playwright Oscar Wilde, the eccentric
Toulouse-Lautrec, the poets Charles Baudelaire and Edgar Allen Poe, and the
famous 20th century author Ernest Hemingway, just to
mention a few.

Cheers
Hoppy