Subject: [Leica] Re: Kippers and other smoked fish
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Oct 11 19:50:51 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 5:32 PM, Marc wrote:

> Kippered Herring or Kippers actually began as
> kippered salmon and herring was only subjected to
> the process towards the end of the 19th
> century.  The process is proprietary -- it
> involves splitting and gutting the fish and then
> salting it and cold-smoking it.

I'm not much of a kipper fan but I love all forms of smoked salmon,
gravlax and whitefish. Some of the best smoked fish in the world is
made by the Hansen smokehouse on the Hudson River a few miles north
of my house. Hansen (http://www.hansencaviar.com/) has been in
business for over a century and a half and got its start smoking
sturgeon. Sturgeon was once so plentiful in the Hudson estuary that
it was called "Albany Beef" and served as a cheap staple food for
Irish laborers who were building New York City. The Hansen site is
interesting because it has century old pictures of the sturgeon
fishery with 200 lb. fish stacked up like cordwood on the docks.
Hudson River sturgeon caviar was said to rival the best Beluga
caviar. I can't say for sure if this is correct but the few times
I've sampled it, it was excellent. Barrels of caviar were exported to
fish egg lovers in Europe. In the 1890s you could get a  big plate of
caviar in Luchow's restaurant for five cents. Naturally the sturgeon
were fished almost to extinction. All sturgeon fishing is now
prohibited in the USA and the Hudson estuary fish are making a slow
comeback - probably about 50 years before former levels are restored.

A couple of years ago a former local commercial fisherman who does
occasional maintenance jobs for us caught a pregnant sturgeon
(illegally) in a snare. His father, one of the last caviar processing
plant workers, declined to process the eggs into caviar saying "It's
not worth the effort to treat only 30 lb.. of roe." The caviar lovers
in the community were heartbroken. To keep on topic, I took some
pictures of the dead sturgeon with a Leica IIIc with a 50 mm f3.5
Elmar, a camera produced while the sturgeon fishery was active.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer) ([Leica] Re: Kippers and other smoked fish)