Subject: [Leica] LHSA meeting in Wetzlar; Leica Camera AG
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed Oct 11 23:11:01 2006

If you need to predistort to allow oblique rays to present with higher gain,
then this is done in SW using a location algorithm in
the camera before the data goes for storage.  Essentially, you change the
gain dependent on where the pixel is on the sensor array,
therefore upping the gain for pixels that need it.

I repeat, this would be done before the storage of pixels in the ADC that
converts the electrically stored energy from analog to
digital values for the computer.  The RAW  ( and all other) data would have
already been corrected for gain.

We did this years ago for correcting certain optical sensors that had to
have flat gain across the array.  It is really pretty easy
to do.

Mind you, I have no inside information at all on the workings of the M8.

Of course, I could be wrong and it is all marketing hype......

Henning, did you get to try the M8 with coded and uncoded lenses of the same
type?  For inastance, the  24ASPH  from a few years ago
uncoded, and the same lens, but coded?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] LHSA meeting in Wetzlar; Leica Camera AG)