Subject: [Leica] M7
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Oct 13 05:51:17 2006

Bernardo and Walt, hope you don't mind my two cents on this.
I swapped from M6.85 to M7.72 because of a couple of features.
I like the new finder with less flare sometimes, I like the shutter release
lock because I was forever wasting a frame putting the
camera away when I hadn't taken that last shot. I like the aperture priority
exposure for when I am in a hurry, for example a grab
shot on the street.
I wanted the finder to show the 28mm frame. For me, the 35 frame even was
difficult to use on the .85. Having now used the M7 for a
little while I find, that the finder is not much different regarding
disappearing against bright light, the shutter release lock is
a little fiddly (should work in the other direction) does save flattening
the batteries though, the aperture priority is really
handy and I can easily lock the exposure with part release pressure then
recompose, and the new 28mm frame is difficult for me like
the 35 was on the .72 camera. I bought an external 28mm finder.
So on balance, I'm pleased I swapped, but miss my lovely M6. You can use the
M7 for everything you used the M6 for plus get extra
conveniences when you choose. Not as nice shutter release to squeeze. But
both inferior to the wonderful M3 in that respect anyway.
Have to say though that the M6 prices are more attractive currently.

Cheers
Hoppy