Subject: [Leica] EXIF Viewer
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Oct 15 15:29:38 2006

I fooled around some more and realized that the situation is even more
complicated than I thought.

I use VuePrint and Irfanview as quick image viewers. It's these programs
that can't see EXIF data after Picture Window Pro saves TIFF files. Picture
Window Pro sees it just fine after saving and reloading a TIFF, and if I
make a JPG from a previously saved TIFF, then VuePrint and Irfanview can
see read the EXIF data again.

There must be different ways that programs can read and write EXIF data,
and VuePrint and Irfanview are using methods that don't quite work in TIFF
files.  Version-itis, maybe?  Anyway, the TIFF/EXIF situation is wonky.

Since you Photoshop users also complain about loss of EXIF data when saving
TIFFs, something may be going on that isn't unique to any one
program.  Versionitis?  Ambiguity in the spec?

--Peter