Subject: [Leica] guns, photography, and the american psychosis
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Oct 20 07:17:26 2006

Funny you should mention all this, Frank - No, our kids didn't have Davy
Crockett, and Lord knows they didn't have Cowboys and Original Americans,;-)
- but they had Star Wars - with laser sabers and guns.

My wife and I were determined we weren't going to let our kids play with toy
guns, until my first-born kept taking the thermometer from his toy 'doctor
kit' and sticking it into the otoscope to turn it into a pistol! So we asked
a child psychiatrist friend of ours, a wonder, gentle, insightful man who
had written a terrific child rearing book called "What Shall We Tell The
Children," what he thought about kids and toy guns. His response? "I have
them in the toy basket in my office" He said that he only worried about toy
guns and kids when the kids would use the toy guns to act out violent acts -
as in pointing them at parents or friends in anger, and expressing a wish to
kill them. The other thing that he said was a real warning sign of trouble
ahead was kids exhibiting intentional cruelty toward animals.

Anyway, my point about playing with toy guns, Davy Crockett, etc., was how
ingrained all that is/was in our society. Yes, Westerns are pretty much gun
- certainly on t.v. - but look at what's on instead.