Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital newbie question.
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Oct 23 08:34:19 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 3:46 AM, Greg wrote:

> I think a fair number of Lug newbies are driven quickly away after
> they make the mistake of asking a newbie Leica (been asked a time
> of two before) question and either their question is not answered,
> answered rather rudely, or they're pounced on.
>
> We all need to keep in mind that you only get one chance to make a
> 1st impression!
>
> I also suspect that the new M8 is going to attract some old Leica M
> users back that may have held on to a favourite body and a lens or
> two that they couldn't sell but wern't using. This should add some
> new/old blood to the List.

OK, I'm a digital newbie. So many questions.

Leica has a history of introducing a top of the line camera first,
then following it a year or two later with a simplified version of
the same camera. The M3 begat the M2. I understand that the marketing
strategy is to skim the cream of buyers first with the more expensive
camera, then introduce a lower priced model to pick up the marginal
users. Does any knowledgeable Lugger suspect that Leica will follow
this approach with the M8. My interest is both photographic and
economic. I have a drawer full of Leica lenses and cameras, all
vintage. The last new film Leica camera and lens I bought was a CL in
1974.

I would like to use the old lenses on a digital camera but the new M8
is far too pricey for a marginal photographer's budget. Are the
lenses good enough to make use of all the capabilities of the new
camera? Should I wait until Leica introduces a lower priced model?
Will they ever introduce a lower priced digital Leica? Do I wait
until the M8 shows up on the used camera marketplace? How about the
Epson RD-1? Or should I just forget about the whole thing, sell the
film equipment on the LUG or e-Bay and move to the 4/3rds format. My
Olympus OM lenses work nicely on my E-500.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Re: Digital newbie question.)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: Digital newbie question.)
Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Re: Digital newbie question.)