Subject: [Leica] OT for those concerned with cultural freedoms
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Oct 23 21:06:16 2006

This shocking news just to hand from AAP

"Authorities probe Vegemite ban reports
Tuesday Oct 24 13:32 AEST
Mystified Australian authorities have launched an investigation into reports
Vegemite has been banned from entering the United
States.
Supermarkets in the US continue to stock Vegemite and have no plans to
remove Australia's iconic breakfast spread from their
shelves.
Adding to the confusion, a spokesperson from the Australian embassy in
Washington DC said US officials had recently said they had no
concerns about Vegemite.
Weekend media reports, however, described how US customs officers have been
removing jars of Vegemite from travellers' bags as they
entered America.

"We are aware of reports that US authorities have been seeking to stop
people from bringing Vegemite into the country," a
spokesperson from the Australian embassy in Washington DC told AAP.
"From our perspective there is no food safety issue with Vegemite and we had
been advised recently by US authorities that Vegemite
was not of concern to them.
"We are liaising with US authorities to determine whether the media reports
are accurate."
The ban was reportedly due to Vegemite containing folate, which America's
Food and Drug Administration only allows to be added to
bread and cereals.
FDA officials did not return phone calls.
American supermarkets such as Bristol Farms and Whole Foods were selling
Vegemite in their stores on Tuesday.
Nearly 100,000 Australians and New Zealanders live in the United States.
Vegemite is made in Australia by US-based Kraft Foods Inc."

Cheers
Hoppy

Replies: Reply from julian at mildren.com (Julian Mildren) ([Leica] OT for those concerned with cultural freedoms)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT for those concerned with cultural freedoms)