Subject: [Leica] Survival of the fittest
From: Tun_Tee at verizon.net (Art Teel)
Date: Thu Oct 26 06:55:11 2006

I would offer the opinion that the market for digital cameras is something
of a wonderland that undergoes exponential growth in a frenzied hysteria
?from ever greater mega giga pixel count to miniaturization that offers a
telephone or ear ring camera, perhaps. The position of something as
exquisite as a Leica M8 in all this madness is that there can be some people
with a desire and enthusiasm to step up and produce a digital camera of
quality, unique simplicity, and actually be based from an outstanding lens
selection and have an optical rangefinder technology, that do want to
address a small market of those serious about creating images that are
something more than momentary snaps of the average human condition. That
market is not a mass one nor will it ever be more than a special interest
group market segment. I think Leica survivability is to be accomplished by
concentrating on that potential only by ensuring that they can support the
market  with service, advice, prompt tech support, and continued quality
that is apart from the frenzy. That requires money and I for one will
continue to be willing to spend such discretionary money as may be available
for quality and performance, not for the newest giga whatever that plastic
manipulation can temporarily put forth. I think that there are others of
similar thoughts who will provide a large enough market for Leica
survivability.