Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Oct 26 08:03:25 2006

Not a point, Adam - merely an observation. The question is whether the
demand, and the margin, will make up for the loss of demand and margin for
film cameras. Remember that the company has been skittering on the edge of
the abyss based on film camera sales. Doing better than barely surviving
requires not only that the digital cameras sell well, but that they sell so
well that the loss of film cameras isn't felt. (And one has to assume that
there have been fairly large design and start -up costs associated with this
camera, costs that are absent from the film camera cost equation/)

Also, from the review images I've seen, there is not a hint that the camera
produces images better than film at high isos - and its high iso images do
not begin to touch those produced by the Canon 5D.

I'd suggest that the M8 clearly has three things going for it, which will
make it appeal to the die-hard M base - It is clearly an extremely solidly
built, very M-like, rangefinder digital. Beyond that, from a pro-standpoint,
it's mostly downhill - no real low-speed iso (160 is the lowest, apparently
because Leica believes that the lower the starting iso, the harder it is to
control noise at the high end of the scale); comparative very weak high iso
performance; no weather or dust sealing; not full-frame, so the fabulous M
lenses can't be used at their original focal lengths; odd and limited iso
scale. All offered at a price that's $1500 higher than a film M for a camera
that simply will not have anything like the life expectancy of a film M.

But - with all that said, it's an M-like rangefinder that takes M lenses -
and there's a great deal to be said for that.

B. D.