Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Oct 26 19:03:36 2006

Thanks Greg, yes of course I was aware of the LUG reviews/previews. I do
recall Henning posting a single small image, not related to
his review. I haven't seen any other publicly available images. But then,
since B.D. has now mentioned that he has had a visit from
Ted, perhaps he's seen hundreds? ;-)
It does sound as though the Reid Review is very informative. I haven't seen
it. As mentioned it appears that Leica asked that images
from those preview examples not be published in that the firmware was not
the production version. I don't recall any content
specifically commenting on very high ISO performance. I shall re-read the
reviews. In any event, I have no idea except what has been
shared with us. I was asking about where the comparison had been done vs the
Canon performance.
Howard in Hong Kong has just posted that his experience was that the
camera's performance was spectacular at 1250 ISO. That is a
marvel and shows some huge potential for that low light creativity that many
Leica users love. I am certainly looking forward to
early owners sharing their pictures and experiences with us all. I thought
that the on-line reviews that we have seen were certainly
intellectually honest and also very interesting to us all. I hope you don't
consider that I've made uninformed, idle speculation
regarding the camera's performance. Certainly I've never handled one. I do
hope to be shown one of the early deliveries ordered in
Australia, maybe early in 2007. I suspect that handling one may be very bad
indeed for the wallet.
Cheers
Hoppy