Subject: [Leica] How much for a Nocti
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Oct 27 07:59:25 2006

On 10/27/06 7:37 AM, "Walt Johnson" <walt@waltjohnson.com> typed:

> Hoppy
>
> Caution, unprotected photography with a stranger can be dangerous. Slip
> on a UV :-)
>
> Walt
>
> G Hopkinson wrote:
>
>> Henning and Mark, I really respect the opinions and experience of the pro
>> shooters here and I know we've had a thread on this
>> before. Probably like religion or politics no one will ever change anyone
>> else's mind on this.

Believe me Hoppy you have no idea!
UV wars have gone on long before recorded LUG history. And beyond!

I think it was around 1998 or so during a certain excursion behind UV users
lines into then uncharted Peloponnesian UV war territory that die hard UVa
or UVb users conceded that IF when they open up a red dot box with a lens in
it and there is a little instruction sheet (say with the first hand ground
aspherical wide angle or with the current Noctilux) to NOT USE a UV or other
even filter then maybe there were reasons to listen to this!!!

The concaveness of the outer element of the first Aspherical wide angle made
us think that there would be a a reflection issue between the outer element
and the filter. Scared off a few people at least. UV filter sales took a
dip.
On the Noctilux it was such a large outer lens to air area with innovative
optical design elsewhere that hard core UV filter people would make
exceptions in that instance.

But whatever the reason; we figured there was one.

My thoughts on my last post on this by the way was not in my mind directed
at specifically Erik's reasons and motives for this or that...
But in general; a person who is told by a head Leica guy face to face to not
use filter on a certain lens.
As Erik is not on the LUG to my knowledge it's pointless and not so great to
try to get into an imaginary dialog with him as his defenses and aggressives
are just fig Newton's of our own imagination.
And he could come up with better ones I'm sure. As I hung out with him a bit
and the man can be eloquent.

I did, by the way see on TV channel 13 New York a few nights ago Jim
Natchwey (Noctiway is spelt it at first) in front of his exposed brick wall
with his camera with a lens on it he was putting into his bag with no shade
and what sure looked to me to be a UV filter. !!!! The Horror!
And anything Jim Natchwey does I'm not inclined to argue with; not being
incredibly stupid.
But verbiage like "DESERT STORM" sure gets someone off the hook in my crusty
eyes for modifying ones double-gauss design with protective sheet glass on
the front. And I've been shooting at the final last leg of this trip sans
shade as one broke and the other one just got on my nerves.

Mark Rabiner

The first of November at Central Park West
At the NW Tip of Central Park
by Columbia University
New York

40?47'59.18"N