Subject: [Leica] Playing with an M8 DNG
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Oct 29 01:36:33 2006

Peter, that's a very helpful and interesting post, thank you.
I downloaded the suggested DNG and printed it with an extremely minimal
crop, to A4 (near letter), following my normal workflow for
printing and with just a light luminance sharpen first. The detail captured
is certainly extremely impressive, with that digital
look missing any grain, of course. With my calibrate environment, the tones
and colurs reproduced on the print very faithfullt to
the on-screen versio. My inkjet (Epson R800) faithfully reproduced coloured
fringing visible in the shadow around the car's fuel
filler cap and door frame. It is there just visible to the naked eye in my
print. These areas show up as warnings when viewing the
DNG. Since I have no experience with any of the Raw converters (I used the
Adobe plug in for CS2) I didn't attempt any correction.
So it would be an area perhaps requiring attention, as you said.
I have to say that I have absolutely no good reason not to buy this camera
now, for my particular circumstance, except for finding
the dollars, of course.
Thanks again for a great post on this
Cheers
Hoppy