Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Oct 31 15:45:10 2006

Slobodan

It all boils down to a few simple to understand concepts having nothing
to do with Rollie Days. If it feels good, exploit it. If it fits well
then that makes good composition. Or as old Eddie use to say
"composition is the clearest way of seeing". There are some of Daniel's
2 1/4 images whose elements fall right into place.  Some, to me, don't
quite make it as far as composition. Still very nice images but lacking
that visual organization which jumps off the page.  Just my opinion and
when I said 6x9 I was talking about an enlarged 35mm. Uncropped, of
course. I don't think this means all of us using 35's are hung up on the
Greek thing but I enjoy working fast. Not sloppy, just fast.  To me,
relevance relates to feeling and not the latest hot craze. I enjoy quite
a bit of what I see along the lines of Kyle's work or many of the latest
Magnum shooters.

The bottom line though is to do one's own thing. Nothing else is real
and if not real then it will fall by the wayside. I've seen shots made
with 4x5's and Rollies which have plenty of power but the old times
never did managed to convince me my Nikon was unsuitable  for news work.
Maybe there were those young ones who made them feel a bit archaic.

Walt (now archaic, not feeling inferior and crusty as a sore-tailed cat
in a room full of rocking chairs)