Subject: [Leica] M8 & Depth of Field
From: leewaileong19 at yahoo.com (Lee Wai Leong)
Date: Tue Oct 31 22:08:10 2006

Just to add. I mentioned that the industry had generally used a CoC of 0.03
mm for 35 mm lenses.

  How is this 0.03 mm derived?

  As mentioned in Wikipedia, using the so-called ?Zeiss formula? the circle
of confusion is sometimes calculated as d/1730 where d is the diagonal
measure of the original image (the camera format). For full-frame 35 mm
format (24 mm ? 36 mm, 43 mm diagonal) this comes out to be 0.024 mm.

  A more widely used CoC is d/1500, or 0.029 mm for full-frame 35 mm format,
which corresponds to resolving 5 lines per millimeter on a print of 30 cm
diagonal. Values of 0.030 mm and 0.033 mm are also common for full-frame 35
mm format.

  Since d is smaller for a digital sensor that is less than 24x36 mm, it is
clear that a 35 mm lens used with a digital sensor must have a smaller DOF
at all distances.

  Hence, the DOF markings now on our Leica lenses are no longer correct when
you put them to use on the M8.

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] M8 & Depth of Field)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] M8 & Depth of Field)