Subject: [Leica] M8 DOF and Hyperfocal Distance Settings
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Fri Nov 3 12:39:08 2006

I ran a few trials on <www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html> to clear up the
confusion in my own head.  These results apply to the situation where
you are making the same size print from either a 135 film camera or
the M8.

The calculator says that the hyperfocal distance setting required on
the M8 is about 2/3 stops more "open" than the actual f-stop used for
a lens marked with lines for 35mm film.  Since 2/3 stop lines don't
exist on Leica lenses, the hyperfocal line one stop more open than
the shooting aperture should be used.  If you're shooting at f11, set
infinity at the f8 hyperfocal mark.

DOF on the M8 was still quite small with a wide open lens.  At 5'
subject distance, a 50mm lens set at f1.4 on the M7 has a DOF of
about 3;" a 35mm lens at 1.4 on the M8 has about 5" DOF.

Apologies for the redundancy if the LUG already reached this
conclusion.  I've only been able to sample messages recently.
--
Regards,

Dick