Subject: [Leica] Re: Selling a photograph to Lexis-Nexis
From: dankhong at gmail.com (D Khong)
Date: Mon Nov 6 23:28:22 2006

Ted Grant wrote
> Mark mon ami,
> I'm surprised they didn't ask if you had a signed model release as soon as
> they asked about purchase. As Tina suggested it would be a very solid idea
> to have a signed release whether he's a friend or friend lawyer. Hey just
> think about this.... He's a lawyer and knows how to sue you and the company
> without hiring a lawyer! ;-)  Have him sign a model release allowing sale
> of
> your photograph for all rights, video, digital, and publication as well as
> internet..
>
> I'd also ask them what their going rate for picture use is..........
> BEFORE..... you send them the release or the photograph. Whatever you do
> don't mickey mouse with these people as they are making money from the ad
> and obviously your picture illustrates what they're talking about.

>Therefore you must receive financial benefit from your efforts as a
>photographer. Besides it'll help re-coup the cost of the M7! ;-) Worse still
>if you don't get paid , you'll loose the M7 magic that I didn't tell you
>about. ;-)

Ted

I think that's excellent advice and with an astute observation from a
seasoned photojournalist.  You are an old hand in that game and we
mortal leica gear users don't even carry a spare piece of paper along
when we go shooting, let alone a model release documentation.

As for the M7 magic, I am told that if a fishing rod catches fish
easily the first time, it will always bring the fisherman luck after
that.

Dan K.