Subject: [Leica] Canon G7 a no-go: Better the Leica D-Lux (but which one??)
From: jackmclain at hughes.net (Jack McLain)
Date: Tue Nov 7 07:09:57 2006

Thanks all for the thoughts and suggestions regarding the usability of the
G7 camera. With the lens being so-so and the other issues that have been
raised, it's off the list.

I am suffering real camera purchase angst. I've been a very traditional
develop-and-print-your-own guy for a long time, and have always glibly
dismissed the digital world off-hand.  Now I am paying the price for
studiously ignoring the technology. I pick up one of these digital point and
shoots and have no clue even how to turn them on (or is the proper term
"power them up"?). I bought my wife a little Olympus P+S and could offer her
no advice; very frustrating for someone who considers himself a
"photographer".

I realize the disdain most serious enthusiasts have for the "what camera
should I buy" question when posed by the neophyte, but I beg your indulgence
for an old-fart guy who was shooting a Leica and printing TriX 35 years ago.
I stand before y'all with head bowed and hat in hand, and hope for some
photo-wisdom.

I've been surfing the camera sites, reviews, etc, and am now leaning heavily
in the direction of the Leica D lux. (I mean it IS a Leica of sorts...
Right?)

The new D lux 3 model seems to be selling over it's MSRP, even on eBay. The
comparable Panasonic model, which the Leica is based on, is available and
for significantly less money. I am not clear on what exactly (other than a
Photoshop-lite software package), makes the Leica a better choice between
the two.

There are several near new or new D Lux 2 models in the  ~$400 -$500 range
on eBay and other venues. Is the D-Lux 2, while "only" sporting 8 Mega
pixels, a good choice at that price point? Is the D Lux 3 so much more
advanced, or a better user (in classic street candid photography) that the
premium price is a no-brainer?

My best regards
Jack

Jack McLain