Subject: [Leica] start off competition photo discussions
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Nov 7 18:19:34 2006

Folks, recently there seemed to be a number of posts supporting the idea of
discussions and critiques on the comp images during the
month.

While I claim no professional judging expertise, I thought that I might
choose the first image and see if a discussion thread
develops.

Disclaimer

Its not my image, nor do I know the poster. However they have inadvertently
included equipment details in the caption.

OK here's the link to the first pic, just chosen because it is the first.

<http://contest.leica-users.org/main.php/v/current/nile2a.jpg.html>

Here's a few of my thoughts to maybe kick start some discussion. Feel free
to disagree.

Traditional effective travel type pic.

Normal balance 1/3 2/3 water sky we might mostly use. It works for me in
this one. I'd almost be thinking about a crop to place the
boat right on the lower left thirds intersection. Or is that too predictable?

Lovely warm sunset colour. I'm not sure regarding the cloud colours. Looks
almost like a graduated filter effect. Maybe I saw too
many Cokin ads growing up.

I think that the exposure is just right as presented.

Lovely pic in all. IMHO. Would be very nice indeed on the wall.

OK guys and guyettes, go ahead and tell me I'm a goose or add some different
comments

Cheers

Hoppy

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] competition photo discussions: snapshot comments)