Subject: [Leica] M8 magenta problems - Leica offer a solution
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Nov 8 19:19:21 2006

At 10:33 PM +0000 11/8/06, Steve Unsworth wrote:
>According to a thread posted on the Leica forum...
>
>http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/8937-official-leica-statements.html
>
>Leica are offering a solution to the magenta colouring problem with
>the M8 - in particular on black clothing. Apparently they
>acknowledge that it's caused by the IR sensitivity of the sensor.
>Their solution involves using an IR/UV filter on a lens that must
>have been coded with the relevant 6 bit code.
>
>Not impressed, heads should roll :-(
>
>Steve

Actually, this is one of the reasons I'm very interested in the M8.
As I wrote a while ago, the high IR sensitivity allows you to use the
M8 very easily for IR phtography. In fact, as I noted, with an 89b
filter (or Leica IR filter, which is the same) you can even meter
normally, and handheld photography with an 87 is possible. Colour
accuracy at high ISO's suffers on black cloth and things under
incandescent light, but that's a cheap tradeoff for me.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] M8 magenta problems - Leica offer a solution)