Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 245
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Mon Nov 13 06:37:47 2006

> LUG:
> >
> > I've had my M8 for four days now and I used Leica's for 3 days, so
> > after one week with the M8 here are my initial impressions.  I'm
> > comparing it to the Canon 5D, the camera I was carrying around for
> > everyday use.
> >
> > M8 Pro:
> > It's a rangefinder.
> > It's small, light, easy to carry and operates intuitively.
> > All of my M lenses will fit and work well with it.
> > It's quiet and unobtrusive.  Nobody notices when I'm taking photos.
> > High ISOs are better than I expected.
> > I can post photos for discussion on the LUG without feeling guilty
> > that they're not from a Leica  :-D
> >
> > M8 Con:
> > The battery lasts less than one day of use and spare batteries are
> > over $100 each.
> > The battery takes three hours to recharge.
> > The buffer fills up quickly.  After taking 4 or 5 photos in rapid
> > succession, you have to let the camera catch up.
> > The camera is not instantly "on".  It take several seconds after you
> > turn it on before you can start to take photos or set the menus.
> > As a left-eyed shooter, my nose smudges the LCD monitor with every
> > shot.  I'm going to have to learn to shoot right-eyed.
> > Either the viewfinder is dimmer than my M7's or my eyes are getting
> > worse (a possibility!)  It's harder to get the focus right than with the
> > M7.
> > It's not as indestructible as the M7's.  I'm sure if I dropped it in
> > a river it would be dead.
> > It's not full-frame.
> >
> > Canon 5D Pro:
> > It's automatic focus (my eyes are getting old)
> > The L lenses are very nice.
> > The battery lasts forever - over a week - spare batteries can be
> > bought for $29.
> > The battery charges in 30 minutes.
> > You can take many rapid photos in succession and the camera never has to
> > stop.
> > The camera is instantly on.
> > It takes my R lenses with an adapter.
> > It's full-frame.
> > It's 12.8 megapixels.
> > High ISOs are very, very good.
> >
> > Canon 5D Con:
> > It's an SLR.
> > It's big and heavy. (Not as big and heavy as my 1DMII, but much
> > bigger than the M8)
> > It's not as waterproof or weather-sealed as my 1DMII. (But maybe
> > better than the Leica?)
> > It's fairly loud and noticeable.  Everybody comments on the big camera.
> >
> > You may notice that I didn't mention the magenta cast or streaking as
> > cons for the M8.  I'm not worried about that.  Leica will come up
> > with a solution and in the meantime, it can be fixed in photoshop.
> >
> > Your mileage may vary since everybody uses cameras differently, but
> > for my purposes, these are the pros and cons of both cameras.  I
> > don't regret buying the M8 at all.  It will be the camera that I
> > carry with me everywhere.  I'll still carry the 5D and/or the 1DMII,
> [...]
My everyday camera is too the 5D -seldom the 1Ds MkII- and I've already
ordered the M8. I agree with your analysis  but I have a question for
you just in case you have an idea about it. My only concern with the
Canons full frame is their  inability for getting perfect images from
extreme wides. Either the 14mm and 16-35mm f2,8 are not quite good in
borders and coins full open. ?What is your opinion about the M8 ability
for getting perfect images with the 12mm and 15mm Voigtl?nder or the new
Trielmar 16-18-21? Thanks.

Felix.

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 245)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 245)