Subject: [Leica] Leica M8: "I think it's going to be all right"
From: igreines at GMSR.com (Irving Greines)
Date: Sun Nov 19 10:25:43 2006

I don't believe a series of filters (eveen if given away for free) will
solve Leica's problems.  There will have to be a permanent fix to the
camera itself.  We love Leica because it is a quick, silent, unobtrusive
street camera; these attributes are undermined if the quickness
component is compromised by a need to fiddle.

Paying almost $5,000 for a camera that requires fixes in order to
operate correctly in certain circumstances is a tough sell, except for
those who "need" to buy and justify the latest Leica no matter what.  In
my view, after the initial sales are completed to those who simply have
to have the M8, the M8 will face tough sailing in the marketplace if
Leica does not solve its present problem.

I'm betting that Voightlander will furnish the fix in the form of a much
lower-priced body that doesn't have Leica's problems.

I'd love to have an M8, but not the present-version. How many
photographers will wait for the successor version, or the Voightlander
version, before spending their money?  I feel many will wait.

Replies: Reply from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] Leica M8: "I think it's going to be all right")