Subject: [Leica] Remembrance Sunday in Germany
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Nov 20 02:29:47 2006

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/_MG_0934_edited-1.jpg.html

"Here was the site of the MISBURG Camp, a branch of the Concentration
Camp Neuengamme (in Hamburg), from June 1944 to April 1945.
People of many nations who fought of their own free will against Nazi
supremacy were interned here. Here they were exposed to horrific
deprivation of their basic rights and physical violence. They were
forced to clear damage caused by allied bombing at the Oil Refinery.
A large number of them died as a consequence of exhaustion and beatings.
We should never forget that they sacrificed their lives for peace and
freedom in the spirit of human rights."

The plaque at the monument to the Concentration Camp (about 500 yards
from our house) here in Misburg  was erected by the people of Misburg
(Once an important industrial centre and SPD (labour party and extremely
anti-Nazi) stronghold at the edge of Hannover. The internees were mostly
Polish, French, Italian, Belgian and Dutch forced labourers.
Misburg was virtually totally destroyed in numerous air raids towards
the end of WWII in attempts to destroy refineries, cement works, a
carbon factory, the canal and railways.

Our neighbour, Bodo, 7 or 8 years old at the time, remembers having been
caught and beaten by  guards for throwing apples and turnips over the
fence to the starving prisoners. He also tells that older youths made a
game of throwing bread-crusts over the fence to watch the prisoners
fight for them.
During the bombing, prisoners were not allowed into the air raid
shelters - luckily in one case - the refinery shelter sustained a direct
hit from a 5000 pounder which killed most of the guards.
Douglas