Subject: [Leica] having met an m8, i've decided i don't need one
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Nov 20 05:46:35 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 9:56 PM, David Keenan wrote:

> kc --
>
>>   2) it feels a lot thicker
>
> This is because the CCD and the (unneeded) LCD sit back to back. Loose
> the
> LCD (which no true M photographer should ever need) and the camera
> could be
> the same depth we all would really rather have
>
>> * i clicked the shutter and it went "clunk-whirr!"
>
> This godawful sound completely destroys the traditional, time-tested "M
> experience". Try this in the familar discrete places that the film M's
> are
> used and forget going unnoticed.
>
>> i want the m8 to be a digital version of the m6.
>
> Exactly -- but better yet an M7. No LCD, no additional external
> controls
> (except for maybe a WB button that shows the white balance selected in
> the
> viewfinder), the traditional cloth shutter and "film advance" lever to
> cock
> the shutter (like the RD-1), a battery compartment where the film
> went, a SD
> card slot where the film take-up spool was, and a USB port to connect
> to a
> PC to do any necessary configuration.
>
> This "M8" would be a true digital M camera in the tradition that all M
> photographers (if they are honest with themselves) really want.
>
> If you have to have an LCD, if you have to chimp, if you need all the
> buttons,.then use a digital SLR -- you don't need an M.
>
>> i went home a sad and wiser man.
>
> This former M8 owner discovered the "truth" last weekend and remains
> very
> disappointed -- yes, probably still a little bitter as well.

This discussion reminds me of the M5's greeting by traditional M
photographers: it changed too much vs. it's the change we needed.  Not
being an M user or even an RF user I'm not taking a position
personally, it just strikes me as a perfect illustration of how Leica
is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com