Subject: [Leica] M8 Makes Christmas Lust List
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Nov 21 10:28:40 2006

We took delivery at the National Corvette Museum which is across the
road from the factory. Part of that delivery is a plant tour - takes
about 2 hours - I wish it had taken 4 hours becuase it was
fascinating. No photography allowed inside the plant but I'm telling
you a prime project would be to get GM to let you photograph the work
because it's utterly fascinating. The line is substantially slower
than a conventional assembly line - each station gets about 2.5
minutes to do its work. Watching the bodies being assembled while the
chassis is formed and assembled in a different line, all the parts
flowing in. It's complex because they really make three different
vehicles - the coupe, the convertible and the Z06 which shares some
parts but not nearly all.

The Z06 engine is hand-built by one individual and it comes with a
signed plate for who did it, where. I was lucky enough to get to start
one for the first time. For virtually all of the process after the
chassis and body are united the car is suspended from four points.
Only at the last stage does it actually touch the ground. It then goes
into an inspection stage where body fit is confirmed and the engine is
started for the first time. That's where I got to start the yellow
Z06. Ahhhhhh 505 HP coming to life for the first time - it started
instantly!

The entire process is amazing because it's a "just in time" plant with
entire subassemblies coming in from outside. I loved the line of
engines - each tagged for a particular car, VIN engraved as it was
mated to the drive train.

I do have some photos - most taken by my wife but some are mine. They
are snaps for family but you can see them at:

<http://homepage.mac.com/abridge/CorvetteDeliver/>

The museum tour was good too - but by that time we were hungry to take
our car and get it out onto the road.

The museum staff did a fabulous job of preparing the car - it was in
impeccible condition. Unfortunately we took a shot from an ejected
tire-tread in Texas on I-40 east of Amarillo that pulled away a bit of
the passenger side air-dam and left tread marks on the hood that I
need to work on a bit.

We got 26.8 MPG on the 4300 mile drive that took us from Bowling
Green, KY to Frederick, MD (wedding) then back to California via
Knoxville, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Santa Fe, NM, Black Canyon
City, AZ and Bakersfield, CA.

We used to say our BMW 540i went from zero to gulp in WOW! This car
goes from zero to gasp in OMG. At least. It's incredibly driveable,
great road manners. It's large for a two-seater but it did hold all
our luggage for the trip including cameras, etc. I need an M8 so I can
pack small! (laughing - Riiiiiiiiight).

Probably more than you want to know but hey -  she's our new babe and
you did ask.

Oh, after a lot of discussion she's named Ms. Veronica Go-spritely,
has that wonderful southern Kentucky/northern Tennessee accent and
probably wears figure revealing outfits that are maybe a bit revealing
but doesn't take crap from anyone.

Adam