Subject: [Leica] A Rare R8?
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Fri Nov 24 18:12:38 2006

For those who don't know the story, my R8 (with DMR) and 80~200 Vario
Elmar were severely damaged, last month, by rainwater which leaked
into the Solms factory, where my camera had been left for repair.

To make a short story shorter, Leica replaced my R8 with a brand new
R8!  (I was surprised that they still have NIB R8's in the warehouse!)

All is well, except the new R8 has a blue finder display, rather than
the yellow one I'm used to.  This, I can live with... in fact, I
kinda like it, once you get used to it!

According to Andrew Nemeth's FAQ: at some point, during the early
production, Leica ran out of the yellow displays, and accepted a
small number of blue ones, to fill in until the yellow ones were
again available.  (Other than colour, they are identical.)

I see various *bay ads and other references claiming the blue display
is "rare".  Now I'm curious!  How rare?  Do I have an "instant
collectible"?  Does anybody know how many R8s were made with these
'blue' displays?

Now, I'm curious!

---

David Young,