Subject: [Leica] Re: 35 Summicron Question
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Nov 28 07:36:41 2006

Chris wrote,

>>Yep, she's a biggie alright. Canadian chrome.<<

A numbers of years ago I had a big Chrome tripod socketed 90/2 M. I
bought it at a store in Topeka, KS. For several years I traveled all
over the country on business. I always tried to check out local photo
shops where ever I went. I wish I'd taken photographs of the shops I
visited. Many were eclectic (like the Leica Dealer that was also a
Tobacco shop in Spokane). Most are probably gone today.

I acquired a lot of stuff on my travels, most of it older Leica gear. A
lens here or there, or other odds and ends on the used racks. One day I
realized I'd acquired too much stuff. A friend of mine who worked at
Cameras West in Seattle invited me to bring anything that I wanted to
sell to a Swap Meet in Kent, WA. My friend told me that there would be
many Japanese buyers there looking for older Leica gear.

Sure enough when I entered the Pavilion in Kent and opened my bag of
stuff my friend looked in the bag. He held up one hand and gave a wave.
It was a rather large swap meet and we were in the middle of the place.
My friend, who was about 6' 8" and was visible throughout. Suddenly I
was surrounded by men speaking Japanese. My friend spoke Japanese and
essentially did the selling. He asked me what I wanted for an item. I
gave him a price, which was usually what I paid (usually around half
what you could find something for in Shutterbug). I wasn't concerned
about making a profit.

It was frenzy for about 15 minutes.  Then it stopped because everything
-- two large camera bags full of stuff -- was sold. I never imagined it
would be like that. I thought if I'd sold 1/4 of my stuff I'd be doing
well. I'm more of a buyer than a salesman!

I recall two things from that experience. First, I was shocked by the
demand for Leica. Secondly, the 90/2 Chrome was extremely sought after.
There was actually a bidding war that increased the price to twice what
I was asking. I was sad to see the 90/2 go. I didn't like it because it
was big (although it's nothing compared to the honkin' DSLR lenses I
tote around today.) OTOH, I used it to take what remains today one of my
best ever portrait shots.

This all happened a dozen or so years ago. Things have are certainly
different today. Small camera stores are gone. Swap Meets are gone. Film
is waning. Today it's e-bay and digital. I'm not saying it's better or
worse today. It's just different. I kind of miss camera swap meets.

DaveR